Monday, December 13, 2010

What a treasure I was given this year


After many years of trying to have a child, I feel incredibly lucky to have been blessed with my son.  When I look at him, I think about how he will grow up to be a man that I am proud of and that I will forever be grateful to God for gracing me with the love of a child.  This Christmas, I have alot to be thankful for.  All of this gratitude makes me think that I will baptise him.  Since we don't go to church, I didn't think I would baptise him, but now I think I would like to show my gratitude to God in some formal way. Also, I think it might be good to baptise him with some sort of official religion even if we don't follow it 100%.  This seems sort of silly and even hypocritical of me, however, I think it would be easier for him as a child to understand God in the context of a particular religion rather than just understanding God as nature, or claiming to be "spiritual, but not religious," like his mother.  I'm afraid that might be too abstract for a child and I'd rather give him some sort of structured religion to some degree.  He can always criticize or reject it later, but atleast I'll give him a foundation to start with.  Since I don't go to church, I need to make time to start going to church and see what I think of the Catholic church here in Hiawatha.  If I'm really turned off, I will also check out the Episcopal church in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment